What should I do if I am the victim of domestic violence in Florida?

If you are the victim of spousal abuse in Florida, you should immediately contact your local police department and file a police report. The police will be able to provide you with instructions on how to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO). A TRO may include relief including an order preventing further abuse, an award of any jointly occupied residence, temporary child custody provisions, and a no contact provision. You may also wish to consult with a domestic abuse shelter or crisis hotline. Their numbers can be found in the Yellow Pages of your telephone directory.Below is a list of a few South Florida domestic violence shelters and referral sources:


  • Lotus House Shelter 305 576 4780
  • Camillus House, Inc. (305) 374-1065
  • Miami Rescue Mission, Inc. (305) 571-2273
  • Victim Response, Inc. (305) 693-1170

Ft. Lauderdale:

  • Salvation Army Family and Transitional Shelter Broward County (954) 524-6991
  • Second Chance Society (954) 763-5999
  • Women in Distress of Broward County, Inc. (954) 760-9800

For a nationwide directory of women’s shelters please visit: http://www.womenshelters.org/

If you have been the victim of domestic violence and would like to speak with one of our domestic violence attorneys in Miami, contact Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs