Do I need a lawyer to modify a PA child support order?

For many parents receiving child support, it is critical to making ends meet. Further, it is the legal obligation of both parents to support their children financially. It is important to ensure that your children are getting what they are entitled to. Remember your children should benefit if the parent paying child support gets a new job or a raise.

Child support modification in Pennsylvania is only granted by the Court when there has been a “material and substantial” change in economic circumstances. The question of when child support can be modified in PA is extremely fact specific. An experienced Pittsburgh Child Support attorney can evaluate your case and your financial situation to determine if a modification of child support is appropriate before you spend the time and money going to court.

If you think you may be entitled to a modification of child support, it is important to consult a Pennsylvania child support lawyer immediately because even if you’re entitled to a modification, the modification will only be effective as of the date you file the petition.

The same standards govern a downward modification of support. So if you’re paying child support and think you’re entitled to a downward modification, you should consult with an experienced western Pennsylvania child support attorney. The court will look at your reduced salary, or your spouse’s increased income, but will also take into account any other possible income streams. An experienced PA child support attorney will be able to advise you if your change in circumstances may result in a modification of child support.

To learn how our Pittsburgh family law firm can help you during this difficult time, call us today at 412-281-9906, toll free at 1-844-VARI-LAW or send us an e-mail. One of our experienced Allegheny County support lawyers will be glad to offer you advice on what is in your best interests and that of any children in your family.

Our Pittsburgh Support Attorneys routinely accept cases in Allegheny County, Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County. Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs