Do I need a lawyer to file for child support in PA?

The court procedure to file for Pennsylvania child support varies by county, but the law is the same. Parents in PA are obligated to provide financial support for their children until the age of 18 years or graduation from high school, whichever is later. Although the law is uniform, every case is different, so you will want to retain an experienced child support lawyer. Before filing a complaint for child support in PA, each party is required to provide various demographic information, as well as information regarding income, employment and health insurance coverage. Next, at the child support hearing, the parties must provide proof of expenses.

Child support awards in Pennsylvania are determined by the Pennsylvania Child Support Guidelines, as set forth in the form of a table in the PA Rules of Civil Procedure. The PA child support guidelines determine a basic monthly payment based on the combined income of the parties. However, in the case when one or both of the parties owns a business, or are self-employed, determining income can be more difficult. Child support awards are based on more than just your paycheck, an award can take into account payments for a mortgage or health insurance, as well as child custody arrangement.

If you think you may be eligible to receive child support, or you believe you may have a child support obligation, it is important to work with an experienced and knowledgeable PA child support attorney to navigate the Pennsylvania child support system.

To learn how our Pittsburgh family law firm can help you during this difficult time, call us today at 412-281-9906, toll free at 1-844-VARI-LAW or send us an e-mail. One of our experienced Allegheny County support lawyers will be glad to offer you advice on what is in your best interests and that of any children in your family.

Our Pittsburgh Support Attorneys routinely accept cases in Allegheny County, Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County. Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs