Do I need a lawyer for a PA stepparent adoption?

Yes, you should retain a lawyer to adopt a stepchild in Pennsylvania. Although a stepparent adoption can be less complex than an adoption involving unrelated parties if all parties consent to the adoption, PA stepparent adoption still requires you to file petitions with the court and an adoption hearing is held. If the necessary provisions are not included in the petition, the adoption may not be permitted to proceed. As with any other adoption, stepparent adoption is a two step process, beginning with the termination of parental rights and then requesting the adoption. Additionally, Pennsylvania has specific notice requirements that you have to comply with that could result in a hold-up of the proceedings, or lead the court to deny the adoption. If the parent whose rights are being terminated does not consent, the court will hold a hearing on the matter which requires each side to present evidence and testimony.

An experienced PA adoption lawyer can also explain to you the legal impact of completing a stepparent adoption, such as liability for child support, as well as eligibility for custody rights.

If you’re considering adopting your stepchild in Pennsylvania, you should consult with a knowledgeable western Pennsylvania adoption lawyer, who will be able to explain the steps and consequences of undertaking a stepparent adoption. Our Pittsburgh adoption attorneys have the experience and knowledge to make the process as efficient as possible.

To learn how our Pittsburgh family law firm can help you during this difficult time, call us today at 412-281-9906, toll free at 1-844-VARI-LAW or send us an e-mail. One of our experienced Allegheny County adoption lawyers will be glad to offer you advice on what is in your best interests and that of any children in your family.

Our Pittsburgh Adoption Attorneys routinely accept cases in Allegheny County, Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County. Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs